Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Arsenic and Old Lace(wings)

My sister went to see a college troupe perform Arsenic and Old Lace last week. I created my own version tonight... I bought some green lacewings. The aphid war continues. All but a remnant of the ladybugs have flown. So, I decided to take it up a notch.

I bought some green lacewings larvae at the store - kind of. I though I was all set to release the "aphid lions," another name for lacewings. (Side note: why are these little guys called lacewings? That name is kind of a weak-sauce name - aphid lions, that's something I can get behind. I am looking for killers, not ballet dancers.) The packet instructed me to put paper cups out as new homes for the larvae. I dug around in my cabinet and found my best left over Starbucks cups from a party of Christmas past. I placed a mini-buckies cup in each planter (mind you I have what felt like 100). I pull out the scissors, open the packet with excitement, my pulse is racing with anticipation of the battle, and, nothing. The packet contains a voucher for me to mail in and request my aphid lions. Kind of lame, but I'm committed for the long-haul. Actually, I appreciate that the company, Orcon, doesn't try to do some crazy store ready package and ships fresh larvae, but I was ready TONIGHT. I want to take these aphid jerks down, total destruction.

Well, Ryan, and everyone else cheering me on, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment