Please join us on Saturday, April 4, 2009, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the historic Los Angeles Central Library, for "MYhistoricLA," a special citywide kickoff celebration of SurveyLA, Los Angeles' first-ever comprehensive survey of its historic resources. We hope you'll help us spread the word by passing this message along to friends and to other local community organizations.
From 1:00 - 2:30 p.m., join Larry Mantle , KPCC-FM's host of Air Talk, for a lively panel with City officials, preservationists, community organizers and developers discussing the key issues surrounding Los Angeles' citywide survey. (Panel seating is limited. Reservations recommended: http://www.lfla.
While Los Angeles has a rich and diverse cultural heritage and a remarkable architectural legacy, 85% of the city has never been surveyed to identify these significant historic places. Historic preservation professionals conducting the survey cannot know all of the potential historic resources throughout the city - and that's why we need your help. We want to know your special story about a local building or the neighborhood you live in.
Join like-minded amateur historians and Los Angeles aficionados for the public launch of SurveyLA and share your knowledge of L.A.'s hidden gems. Other activities will include:
11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
* Tell us about a lesser-known place that you consider particularly important to your neighborhood or the entire city - YOUR Historic L.A.
* Participate in an interactive display demonstrating how the survey teams will identify historic sites, and how they will use the information you're providing.
* Learn how you can bring "MYHistoricLA" to your own neighborhood.
* Sign up to become a SurveyLA volunteer.
* Register to receive regular updates as SurveyLA progresses throughout Los Angeles.
11:00 and 11:30 a.m., 12:00 noon, 3:00 and 3:30 p.m.:
* Enjoy screenings of the award-winning video SurveyLA: Preserving Los Angeles.
For more information on SurveyLA and Los Angeles' first-ever citywide historic resources survey, please visit http://preservation
Directions and Parking: The library is located at 630 West 5th Street, at 5th and Flower in downtown Los Angeles. Take the Metro Rail Red Line to the Pershing Square station and walk west down 5th Street to the Library. Parking is available at the 524 S. Flower St. Garage ($1 all day during library hours with Library Card validation).
Sponsored by the City of Los Angeles Office of Historic Resources, The Getty Conservation Institute, and the Library Foundation of Los Angeles